Italian man held after driving through city shooting at black people

A man identified by Italian authorities as Luca Traini is accused of shooting several people in Macerata, Italy, on Feb. 3, 2018. (Guido Picchio / Associated Press)

An Italian gunman with extreme right-wing sympathies shot and wounded six African immigrants Saturday in a two-hour drive-by shooting rampage, authorities said, terrorizing a small Italian city where a Nigerian man had been arrested days earlier in a teenager’s gruesome killing.
Police photos showed the shooting suspect with a neo-Nazi tattoo prominently on his forehead as he sat in custody and an Italian flag tied around his neck as he was arrested in the central Italian city of Macerata. Authorities identified him as Luca Traini, a 28-year-old Italian who had run for town council on the anti-migrant Northern League ticket in a local election last year in Corridonia.

Premier Paolo Gentiloni warned that “the state will be particularly severe against whoever thinks of feeding the spiral of violence.”
A video posted by the newspaper Il Resto di Carlino showed a man with an Italian flag draped over his shoulders being arrested by armed Carabinieri officers in the city center after reportedly fleeing his car on foot. Italian news reports said the man performed a fascist salute as he was arrested, but no salute was visible in the video.

The shootings came days after the slaying of 18-year-old Pamela Mastropietro and amid a heated electoral campaign in Italy where anti-foreigner sentiment has become a key theme as Italy continues to struggle with the migrant arrivals.
The head of the rebranded League, Matteo Salvini, has capitalized on the killing in campaign appearances, and is pledging to deport 150,000 migrants in his first year in office if his party wins control of Parliament and he is named premier.

Paramedics treat a man wounded by gunfire in Macerata, Italy, on Feb. 3, 2018. (Guido Picchio / Associated Press)

continue reading here